Buttermilk & Cornmeal Fried Rabbit

Recipe & Wine Pairing

We love the opportunity to indulge in rabbit for dinner.  It’s extremely sustainable, with a larger meat to bone ratio than chicken and the ability to produce 6x the meat of a cow on the same amount of food & water.  And since the meat is so lean and easily digestible; break bad with a little bit of chicken-fried goodness!

INGREDIENTS

2 ½ lb rabbit – cut in 10 pieces

2 C. cold buttermilk

¼ C. stone ground cornmeal

1 ½ C. all-purpose flour

1 t. dried sage

1/2 t. dried thyme

½ t. cayenne pepper

4 C. peanut or vegetable oil

1 C. olive oil

3 ½ t. salt

INSTRUCTIONS

Combine the buttermilk and 2 ½ t. salt.  Add the rabbit to coat thoroughly and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.  In a large Ziploc bag, combine the cornmeal, flour, sage, thyme, cayenne and 1 t. salt and shake well.

Remove the rabbit from the buttermilk, dripping off the excess, and place in the cornmeal mixture, shaking to coat thoroughly.  Place on a wire rack over a backing sheet.

In a large saucepan, combine oils and heat to 365 degrees.  Add the rabbit and fry about 10 minutes, turning once, until golden on the outside and white throughout.  Let sit for 5 minutes on paper towels to drain and cool, and add a dash of coarse salt.

WINE PAIRING

We love wines with just a hint of sweetness to bring out the sage & cayenne in this mixture.  Generally speaking, we love an airy sparkling with anything fried, but it’s important not to go too light or it won’t carry its weight to the oils and cornmeal.

Chardonnay and Pinot Noir are left on the lees for two years, bringing Scharffenberger Brut Excellence a bold enough character to stand up to the fried rabbit, with notes of vanilla and caramel, and a freshly baked bread that marries well with its fruit-forwardness.

If you’re looking for something a little less daring, try Robert Stemmler Estate Grown Pinot Noir. You’ll find cherry and forest floor on the nose with hints of cinnamon and balanced acidity on the tongue.

Write a comment

Comments: 7
  • #1

Garrett Waddell (Thursday, 02 February 2017 14:39)

Nice respond in return of this issue with solid arguments and telling all regarding that.

• #2

Providencia Dahle (Thursday, 02 February 2017 23:54)

I think this is one of the most important info for me. And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The site style is perfect, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

• #3

Tasia Truss (Friday, 03 February 2017 06:56)

What's up to all, it's genuinely a pleasant for me to pay a visit this web page, it contains precious Information.

• #4

Theola Bower (Saturday, 04 February 2017 05:07)

Great post. I used to be checking continuously this weblog and I'm inspired! Very helpful info specifically the closing part :) I maintain such info a lot. I was looking for this certain info for a very long time. Thanks and good luck.

• #5

Mickey Orange (Saturday, 04 February 2017 19:05)

Today, I went to the beachfront with my children. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had to tell someone!

• #6

Milagros Stokely (Monday, 06 February 2017 19:16)

Just want to say your article is as astonishing. The clarity for your put up is simply spectacular and i can suppose you're an expert in this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grasp your feed to stay updated with imminent post. Thanks one million and please carry on the rewarding work.

• #7

top rated resume writing services (Thursday, 12 October 2017 10:41)

You have shared the recipe of Buttermilk Cornmeal fried rabbit recipe pairing which picture also shared with us. I'm happy to follow the above recipe and we can now easily make at home but may be taste not like a chef have it.